Notes When Upgrading
- bzr remove and bzr rm will now remove the working file, if
it could be recovered again.
This has been done for consistency with svn and the unix rm command.
The old remove behaviour has been retained in the new option
bzr remove --keep, which will just stop versioning the file,
but not delete it.
bzr remove --force have been added which will always delete the
bzr remove is also more verbose.
(Marius Kruger, #82602)
- Merge directives can now be supplied as input to merge and pull,
like bundles can. (Aaron Bentley)
- Sending the SIGQUIT signal to bzr, which can be done on Unix by
pressing Control-Backslash, drops bzr into a debugger. Type 'c'
to continue. This can be disabled by setting the environment variable
BZR_SIGQUIT_PDB=0. (Martin Pool)
- selftest now supports –list-only to list tests instead of running
them. (Ian Clatworthy)
- selftest now supports –exclude PATTERN (or -x PATTERN) to exclude
tests with names that match that regular expression.
(Ian Clatworthy, #102679)
- selftest now supports –randomize SEED to run tests in a random order.
SEED is typically the value ‘now’ meaning ‘use the current time’.
(Ian Clatworthy, #102686)
- New option --fixes to commit, which stores bug fixing annotations as
revision properties. Built-in support for Launchpad, Debian, Trac and
Bugzilla bug trackers. (Jonathan Lange, James Henstridge, Robert Collins)
- New API, bzrlib.bugtracker.tracker_registry, for adding support for
other bug trackers to fixes. (Jonathan Lange, James Henstridge,
- selftest has new short options -f and -1. (Martin
- bzrlib.tsort.MergeSorter optimizations. Change the inner loop
into using local variables instead of going through self._var.
Improves the time to merge_sort a 10k revision graph by
approximately 40% (~700->400ms). (John Arbash Meinel)
- make docs now creates a man page at man1/bzr.1 fixing bug 107388.
- bzr help now provides cross references to other help topics using
the _see_also facility on command classes. Likewise the bzr_man
documentation, and the bzr.1 man page also include this information.
- Tags are now included in logs, that use the long log formatter.
(Erik Bågfors, Alexander Belchenko)
- bzr help provides a clearer message when a help topic cannot be
found. (Robert Collins, #107656)
- bzr help now accepts optional prefixes for command help. The help
for all commands can now be found at bzr help commands/COMMANDNAME
as well as bzr help COMMANDNAME (which only works for commands
where the name is not the same as a more general help topic).
- bzr help PLUGINNAME will now return the module docstring from the
plugin PLUGINNAME. (Robert Collins, #50408)
- New help topic urlspec which lists the availables transports.
- doc/server.txt updated to document the default bzr:// port
and also update the blurb about the hpss’ current status.
(Robert Collins, #107125).
- bzr serve now listens on interface 0.0.0.0 by default, making it
serve out to the local LAN (and anyone in the world that can reach the
machine running bzr serve. (Robert Collins, #98918)
- A new smart server protocol version has been added. It prefixes requests
and responses with an explicit version identifier so that future protocol
revisions can be dealt with gracefully. (Andrew Bennetts, Robert Collins)
- The bzr protocol version 2 indicates success or failure in every response
without depending on particular commands encoding that consistently,
allowing future client refactorings to be much more robust about error
handling. (Robert Collins, Martin Pool, Andrew Bennetts)
- The smart protocol over HTTP client has been changed to always post to the
same .bzr/smart URL under the original location when it can. This allows
HTTP servers to only have to pass URLs ending in .bzr/smart to the smart
server handler, and not arbitrary .bzr/*/smart URLs. (Andrew Bennetts)
- digest authentication is now supported for proxies and HTTP by the urllib
based http implementation. Tested against Apache 2.0.55 and Squid
2.6.5. Basic and digest authentication are handled coherently for HTTP
and proxy: if the user is provided in the url (bzr command line for HTTP,
proxy environment variables for proxies), the password is prompted for
(only once). If the password is provided, it is taken into account. Once
the first authentication is successful, all further authentication
roundtrips are avoided by preventively setting the right authentication
- bzrlib API compatability with 0.8 has been dropped, cleaning up some
code paths. (Robert Collins)
- Change the format of chroot urls so that they can be safely manipulated
by generic url utilities without causing the resulting urls to have
escaped the chroot. A side effect of this is that creating a chroot
requires an explicit action using a ChrootServer.
(Robert Collins, Andrew Bennetts)
- Deprecate Branch.get_root_id() because branches don’t have root ids,
rather than fixing bug #96847. (Aaron Bentley)
- WorkingTree.apply_inventory_delta provides a better alternative to
WorkingTree._write_inventory. (Aaron Bentley)
- Convenience method TestCase.expectFailure ensures that known failures
do not silently pass. (Aaron Bentley)
- Transport.local_abspath now raises NotLocalUrl rather than
TransportNotPossible. (Martin Pool, Ian Clatworthy)
- New SmartServer hooks facility. There are two initial hooks documented
in bzrlib.transport.smart.SmartServerHooks. The two initial hooks allow
plugins to execute code upon server startup and shutdown.
- SmartServer in standalone mode will now close its listening socket
when it stops, rather than waiting for garbage collection. This primarily
fixes test suite hangs when a test tries to connect to a shutdown server.
It may also help improve behaviour when dealing with a server running
on a specific port (rather than dynamically assigned ports).
- Move most SmartServer code into a new package, bzrlib/smart.
bzrlib/transport/remote.py contains just the Transport classes that used
to be in bzrlib/transport/smart.py. (Andrew Bennetts)
- urllib http implementation avoid roundtrips associated with
401 (and 407) errors once the authentication succeeds.
- urlib http now supports querying the user for a proxy password if
needed. Realm is shown in the prompt for both HTTP and proxy
authentication when the user is required to type a password.
- Renamed SmartTransport (and subclasses like SmartTCPTransport) to
RemoteTransport (and subclasses to RemoteTCPTransport, etc). This is more
consistent with its new home in bzrlib/transport/remote.py, and because
it’s not really a “smart” transport, just one that does file operations
via remote procedure calls. (Andrew Bennetts)
- The lock_write method of LockableFiles, Repository and
Branch now accept a token keyword argument, so that separate
instances of those objects can share a lock if it has the right token.
(Andrew Bennetts, Robert Collins)
- New method get_branch_reference on BzrDir allows the detection of
branch references - which the smart server component needs.
- The Repository API make_working_trees is now permitted to return
False when set_make_working_trees is not implemented - previously
an unimplemented set_make_working_trees implied the result True
from make_working_trees. This has been changed to accomodate the
smart server, where it does not make sense (at this point) to ever
make working trees by default. (Robert Collins)
- Command objects can now declare related help topics by having _see_also
set to a list of related topic. (Robert Collins)
- bzrlib.help now delegates to the Command class for Command specific
help. (Robert Collins)
- New class TransportListRegistry, derived from the Registry class, which
simplifies tracking the available Transports. (Goffredo Baroncelli)
- New function Branch.get_revision_id_to_revno_map which will
return a dictionary mapping revision ids to dotted revnos. Since
dotted revnos are defined in the context of the branch tip, it makes
sense to generate them from a Branch object.
(John Arbash Meinel)
- Fix the ‘Unprintable error’ message display to use the repr of the
exception that prevented printing the error because the str value
for it is often not useful in debugging (e.g. KeyError(‘foo’) has a
str() of ‘foo’ but a repr of ‘KeyError(‘foo’)’ which is much more
useful. (Robert Collins)
- urlutils.normalize_url now unescapes unreserved characters, such as “~”.
- Don’t fail bundle selftest if email has ‘two’ embedded.
(Ian Clatworthy, #98510)
- Remove --verbose from bzr bundle. It didn’t work anyway.
(Robert Widhopf-Fenk, #98591)
- Remove --basis from the checkout/branch commands - it didn’t work
properly and is no longer beneficial.
(Robert Collins, #53675, #43486)
- Don’t produce encoding error when adding duplicate files.
- Fix bzr log <file> so it only logs the revisions that changed
the file, and does it faster.
(Kent Gibson, John Arbash Meinel, #51980, #69477)
- Fix InterDirstateTre._iter_changes to handle when we come across
an empty versioned directory, which now has files in it.
(John Arbash Meinel, #104257)
- Teach common_ancestor to shortcut when the tip of one branch is
inside the ancestry of the other. Saves a lot of graph processing
(with an ancestry of 16k revisions, bzr merge ../already-merged
changes from 2m10s to 13s). (John Arbash Meinel, #103757)
- Fix show_diff_trees to handle the case when a file is modified,
and the containing directory is renamed. (The file path is different
in this versus base, but it isn’t marked as a rename).
(John Arbash Meinel, #103870)
- FTP now works even when the FTP server does not support atomic rename.
(Aaron Bentley, #89436)
- Correct handling in bundles and merge directives of timezones with
that are not an integer number of hours offset from UTC. Always
represent the epoch time in UTC to avoid problems with formatting
earlier times on win32. (Martin Pool, Alexander Belchenko, John
- Typo in the help for register-branch fixed. (Robert Collins, #96770)
- “dirstate” and “dirstate-tags” formats now produce branches compatible
with old versions of bzr. (Aaron Bentley, #107168))
- Handle moving a directory when children have been added, removed,
and renamed. (John Arbash Meinel, #105479)
- Don’t preventively use basic authentication for proxy before receiving a
407 error. Otherwise people willing to use other authentication schemes
may expose their password in the clear (or nearly). This add one
roundtrip in case basic authentication should be used, but plug the
- Handle http and proxy digest authentication.
(Vincent Ladeuil, #94034).
- Added bzrlib.strace.strace which will strace a single callable and
return a StraceResult object which contains just the syscalls involved
in running it. (Robert Collins)
- New test method reduceLockdirTimeout to drop the default (ui-centric)
default time down to one suitable for tests. (Andrew Bennetts)
- Add new vfs_transport_factory attribute on tests which provides the
common vfs backing for both the readonly and readwrite transports.
This allows the RemoteObject tests to back onto local disk or memory,
and use the existing transport_server attribute all tests know about
to be the smart server transport. This in turn allows tests to
differentiate between ‘transport to access the branch’, and
‘transport which is a VFS’ - which matters in Remote* tests.
(Robert Collins, Andrew Bennetts)
- The make_branch_and_tree method for tests will now create a
lightweight checkout for the tree if the vfs_transport_factory is not
a LocalURLServer. (Robert Collins, Andrew Bennetts)
- Branch implementation tests have been audited to ensure that all urls
passed to Branch APIs use proper urls, except when local-disk paths
are intended. This is so that tests correctly access the test transport
which is often not equivalent to local disk in Remote* tests. As part
of this many tests were adjusted to remove dependencies on local disk
(Robert Collins, Andrew Bennetts)
- Mark bzrlib.tests and bzrlib.tests.TestUtil as providing assertFOO helper
functions by adding a __unittest global attribute. (Robert Collins,
Andrew Bennetts, Martin Pool, Jonathan Lange)
- Refactored proxy and authentication handling to simplify the
implementation of new auth schemes for both http and proxy.