You can sort data that is displayed in natural or custom order in ascending or descending order.
- Do one of the following:
To sort the data in a field based on the item labels, click the label of the field that contains the data you want to sort.
To sort the data in a field based on the summary values in a column, click a cell in the column that contains the values that you want to sort on.
To sort the data in a field based on subtotal or grand total values, click a subtotal or grand total value for the field that contains the data you want to sort.
Note If you click a grand total value in the bottom row, the columns will be sorted instead of the rows.
- On the PivotTable list toolbar, click Sort Ascending or Sort Descending .
Note To sort on multiple fields, start by sorting the innermost field first and work backward, sorting the outermost field last.
- Select the item you want to move.
- Drag the selected item and drop it over the item above which you want to place it.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you have the items in the order you want.
Note If a field with custom sorting has a parent field, each parent member will display the lower-level members in custom order.
- The order in which numbers, text, and special characters are sorted depends on the source data and your regional settings in Microsoft Windows Control Panel.
- To switch from ascending or descending sort to custom sort, click Sort Ascending or Sort Descending so that the button is not selected.