Group or ungroup items
- Select the row or column field whose items you want to group.
- On the PivotTable list toolbar, click Commands and Options , and then click the Filter and Group tab.
- Set Group items by to a value other than (No grouping).
- Set Interval to the value you want. For example, if you are grouping items by prefix characters, setting Interval to 1 would group items on A, B, C, and so on.
- To specify the value at which grouping begins, select the Start at check box and then enter a value in the text box.
- To specify the value at which grouping ends, select the End at check box and then enter a value in the text box.
Note The end value must be higher than the start value.
- Select the row or column field from which you want to remove grouping.
- Click Commands and Options on the PivotTable list toolbar, and then click the Filter and Group tab.
- Set Group items by to (No grouping).
- Click the label of the parent field that contains the items you want to group, and then click Expand on the PivotTable list toolbar.
- Click the first item that you want to include in the group.
To select more items, hold down the CTRL key and click each item.
- Right-click a selected item, and then click Group Items.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to create more groups.
- When you add the first custom group to a field, a custom group field is added to the field set. The custom group field will be the parent of the field whose items you grouped.
- You can change the caption of the custom group field and the custom groups in the Commands and Options dialog box.
- Do one of the following:
- To remove a custom group, right-click the group caption, and then click Ungroup Items.
- To remove a custom group field, right-click the field, and then click Delete.
- You cannot right-click the Other item and ungroup it.
- If the group you want to delete is the last custom group in the field, the custom group field will be deleted along with the group. If the group you delete is not the last custom group, the members of the deleted group will move to the Other group.