The SQL Distribution control is implemented as a Microsoft® ActiveX® in-process component. The SQL Distribution control provides an alternate way, in addition to the Distribution Agent, to control synchronization of transactional replication subscriptions. Its primary class, the SQLDistribution object, provides the functionality of the Distribution Agent and supports synchronization of push, pull, or anonymous subscriptions to a transactional publication. The SQLDistribution object also includes options to:
- Add or drop subscriptions and register them for synchronization using Windows Synchronization Manager.
- Specify an alternate snapshot folder, from which the initial snapshot for a subscription can be applied.
- Specify a working directory to which snapshot files are copied using FTP.
- Generate a specially formatted subscription file in a specified location. These files can then be attached to create a synchronized subscription registered at the Publisher, as part of the attach-and-go functionality.
- Specify a Data Transformation Services (DTS) package that transforms command rowsets before applying them to a Subscriber.
- Set the Subscriber update mode to use immediate or queued updating for changes made at the Subscriber.
To refer to the elements of this object from a Microsoft Visual Basic® application, in the Project/References dialog box, select Microsoft SQL Distribution Control 8.0. In a C++ application, include Repldstx.c and Sqldistx.h, and reference Sqldistx.dll from the project/NMAKE file.