- In Control Panel, double-click the Speech icon.
- On the Text To Speech tab, the displayed name in the voices drop-down box is the current active voice.
- Click Preview Voice to hear the active voice; the text will be spoken, highlighting the words as they are spoken.
- A TTS voice is closely associated with a particular engine. It may not be clear from the displayed name which language a voice is using. After selecting an engine or voice, test the voice and language by clicking Preview Voice.
- The language or voices supported by an engine may not be obvious by the engine's displayed name. Refer to the specific user's guide for detailed information about the engine. This includes not only the language supported, but also the lexicon purpose. The lexicon purpose indicates whether it is a general grammar or jargon specific to a profession such as legal or medical.
- To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.