- In Control Panel, double-click the Speech icon.
- On the Speech Recognition tab, the name displayed in the Language drop-down list box is the active engine. Click the active engine inside the Language drop-down list, or use the arrow to display a list of available engines.
- Click a new engine to select it.
- Click OK or Apply to accept the new engine.
- If you select a different engine, it will not start until you stop all applications using speech.
- The language supported by an engine may not be obvious by the engine's displayed name. Refer to the specific user's guide for detailed information about the engine. This includes not only the language supported, but also the lexicon purpose. The lexicon purpose indicates whether it is a general grammar or jargon specific to a profession such as legal or medical.
- To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.