Converting Files with File Converter
You can convert one or multiple files with the File Converter application.
To convert files with File Converter:
- On the Windows Start menu, navigate to the Hummingbird Connectivity program group, point to Accessories, and then click File Converter.
- Click Add Files and specify the files to convert. To convert files in multiple folders, repeat this step.
Tip: You can also add files by dragging and dropping them into the File Converter dialog box from Windows Explorer.
- To specify a different output file name to be used for the converted file, select the file in the Files area and click Rename; you can then edit the name. By default, the output name matches the original name.
- To overwrite an existing file with the output file, click Output File and select the file.
- If you changed the output file name but want to restore it to the default (so it matches the input file name), select the file and click In Place. (This button also restores the output path to match the input path.)
- To specify the folder location for the output file, type the location in the Output Folder area. By default, the output folder is the same as the input folder. You can change the location on a file-by-file basis by selecting the files, clearing the Same As Input Folder check box, and specifying a different location.
- In the Conversion Type area, select a conversion type:
- DOS to UNIX—Converts DOS files to UNIX files.
- UNIX to DOS—Converts UNIX files to DOS files.
- Auto—Determines whether the source file is DOS or UNIX and then performs the appropriate conversion.
- DOS to EBCDIC UNIX—Performs the standard DOS-to-UNIX conversion and also converts the ASCII character set to the EBCDIC character set. EBCDIC is an IBM code for representing characters as numbers; it is mostly used on IBM mainframes. Most other computers, including PCs and Macintoshes, use ASCII codes.
- EBCDIC UNIX to DOS—Performs the standard UNIX-to-DOS conversion and also converts the EBCDIC character set to the ASCII character set.
- To customize conversion settings, click Configure to open the Configuration dialog box. You can set the following options:
- Close the Configuration dialog box when finished.
A message box appears telling you that the conversion is done.