After you have downloaded Visual Studio .NET Academic Assignment Manager Source Package from the MSDN Academic Alliance Web site, you can install it on a development machine. Be sure to check the hardware and software requirements for installing and using the Assignment Manager Source Package. For more information, see Assignment Manager Source Package System Requirements.
To install Assignment Manager Source Package
- Double-click AssignmentManagerSource.exe.
A message box appears, with information about the source package.
- In the message box, click OK.
- In the next dialog, choose the location where you want the files copied to or accept the default location and click Unzip.
When the files have been copied, the readme file is displayed.
Next, create a virtual directory for the Web application portion of Assignment Manager. You need to have Internet Information Services (IIS) installed to use and customize Assignment Manager. For more information, see Assignment Manager Source Package System Requirements.
To create a virtual directory for Assignment Manager
- On the Start menu, choose Run.
inetmgrand then click OK.
- In the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, expand <machine name> (local computer) and then expand Web Sites.
- Right-click Default Web Site, select New, and then select Virtual Directory.
The Virtual Directory Creation Wizard appears.
- Click Next.
- In the Alias text box, type AMWebDev and then click Next.
Note Assignment Manager Source Package cannot be installed on a machine that already has a Web application that uses the alias "amweb".
- In the Directory box, enter the path to the location where \...\Assignment Manager Server\Web\AMWeb\ was installed to, or click Browse to locate the path and then click Next. By default, this location is c:\ AssignmentManagerSource\Assignment Manager Server\Web\AMWeb.
- Choose the level of access permissions for the virtual directory and then click Next.
- Click Finish.
Next, install an Assignment Manager deployment dialog.
To install the deployment dialog
- In the installation directory for the source package, copy the file VsdCustomTextPwd.wid. By default, this location is c:\AssignmentManagerSource\Assignment Manager Server\setup\dialogs\VsdCustomTextPwd.wid.
- Browse to \...\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Tools\Deployment\VsdDialogs\1033 and paste VsdCustomTextPwd.wid in the directory. This path depends on where you chose to install Visual Studio .NET 2003.
After you have successfully installed the source package, you can then begin modifying the code. For more information, see Customizing Assignment Manager Source Package.
Visual Studio .NET Academic Assignment Manager Source and Visual Studio .NET 2002 Compatibility
Visual Studio .NET Academic Assignment Manager Source cannot be modified in Visual Studio .NET 2002, nor can modified versions of Visual Studio .NET Academic Assignment Manager be accessed by machines with Visual Studio .NET 2002 installed. Assignment Manager Source is compatible only with Visual Studio .NET 2003.